Saturday, November 15, 2008
Doctor's Opinions
So as many of you may know Benjamin has a disturbing birthmark on his back. I finally took him to a dermatologist today. The doctor very seriously told me that it is high risk and is probably 50/50 to become cancerous. He said not to be worried but to remove it immediately. He then told me one reason he feels so strongly because one of his own children did get melanous (or however you spell it) cancer at age 8. I have never had to make such a big medical decision before. Joseph thinks the doctor wants to take immediate action because of our insurance and that if we were on regular insurance the doctor would be fine waiting. (Which to me doesn't make sense, our insurance is a PAIN for doctors to work with.) Joseph had an experience with a doctor where such was the case. I don't think Benjamin is going to get cancer in the next few months or maybe even few years. But I don't think it is unreasonable to remove a risk. Have any of you had to make big medical decisions? What have you learned from your experience?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Oooo, that is a tough one. Well, all I can say is that he'll eventually need to have it removed, right? The younger they are, the easier it is for them to recover. Also, the scar will not be as big if the birthmark doesn't grow anymore with his growing body. It's just my opinion, but I think the sooner the better. Good luck!!
That's a hard one.... even good intentioned doctors I think start ordering procedures and such when the economy gets bad... I guess only the Lord can give you the best advice!
Yes! Really go to a specialist better to be safe than sorry. I know of a great Dermatologist! he is near Harmon's in orem kinda by the mouth of provo canyon his name is Dr. Kraig Jensen, he is a little bit older but as sharp as they come! I would defiantly recommend him to you. My dad had a cancer spot on his nose and they were able to treat it without having to cut into my dads nose... kinda extreme but he is really great! good luck with this! :)
xoxo
leslie
It's never fun to make decisions like this, but trust your own instinct. You'll be able to figure out what you need to do. I always like to treat and prevent something then deal with a bigger problem later. A second opinion never hurts, and is always a good idea for a major decision. Good luck!
I actually had a big mole on my back all growing up. I was a sophmore in high school when we finally got it removed. I remember the dr. saying that it really mainly grows from getting sunlight. If you want to wait a few years until you have insurance that you like better then my opinion would say that is fine. I definitely would get it removed in the next few years just watch the sunlight exposure. Pray and you will know what is best. keep me updated
I didn't have a mole, it was a birthmark. I do now there are different kinds of birthmarks and it may be possible that his is more serious then mine was.
Hey Steph, That is such a hard one but, I would rather be safe then sorry... just keep taking the necessary precautions, keep taking him in to get it checked and if at another appoinment it seems to be getting worse, I'd do it.
If it were me, I would get a second opinion, or even a third. That way you'll know for sure if the doctor is taking advantage or if it something to seriously consider. Don't worry yourself over it and let the experts give you options before you make a decision. Good Luck!
I think you may have already decided what to do, but I'll add my two bits since you asked :) My experience has shown me that doctors don't like showing unncessesary concern, for fear of law suits, and so if he's thinking it needs to be removed, I'd do it. I would just kick myself if it turned into anything, and a simple procedure would have fixed it. Again- just one more thought to throw into the mix.
Post a Comment