Friday, October 31, 2008

I am going nuts! Any suggestions?

Benjamin has decided to become a real pill. He is screaming/shreiking whenever he wants something (even just another bite). He throws tantrums by making this awful noise, dropping to the floor and arching terribly, kicking, and waving his arms when I try to pick him up. He is constantly whining! I don't want to associate his crib with being a punishment, but that is the only contained place I can put him in for 'time out'. I guess I could put him in a room and shut the door. What have you experienced moms done?

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

the only thing that would work with Jack for a long time was holding him in our lap for a time out. We would lay him across our body and bind his arms and legs tight. It used to TICK him off. It was the only punishment that made sense to him until we could do consequences- like ... if you do that anymore the toy will get taken away. You know? I certainly don't consider myself an expert though. When you find something that works post it!

Unknown said...

I've put Jane in the bathroom (there isn't anything for her to get into and she hasn't played in the toilet or toilet paper)and told her she could come our when she's happy. As soon as shestops crying, even for a second, I open the door and gush my praises for her being happy. If she starts crying again, I say, "Oh, no you're still too sad." and shut the door. If she stays happy she comes out and try the "outside" world again. Sometimes she forgets why she was crying (for candy most likely) in the first place. Other times she tantrums again. When that happens I either decide she's tired and needs to go to bed, or we keep doing the bathroom thing. I did a good week of being tough on this and it helped a lot. I never give her what she wants until she's stopped crying and has asked nicely.