Monday, March 2, 2009

My deepest sympathies

For those of you who know Marsha from BYU, I have the deepest sympathy for her. I have been helping this year with costumes for their performances including this weeks Romeo & Juliet and West Side Story. I have never understood how much work she puts in for costuming. With Marsha and another person sharing the load I have: made 28 tutus, hand-tacked 14 tutus to bodices twice (for different shows), sewn a total of 84 sleeves on bodices after hand-picking 56 of them, sewn many many hooks and eyes, hand stitched costumes with loose pieces, dyed fabric, bio-taped at least 10 men vests (also made and attached a ruffle for the bottom), taken in bodices, rip many seams, hem many things, sew up holes, sew elastice on 9 pairs of shoes (after ripping the original elastic off). Some of them are hard, and others instead just take A LOT of time. And at this time she is bringing over more-14 tops need elastic. She just had surgery for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and is unable to do a lot at the moment. I totally understand why when performing at BYU and asking for my costume to be adjusted, she told me that it was fine the way it was. She definitely puts in a lot of time into creating and producing costumes. And she teached 1 or more classes everyday as well. I have much respect for all she is capable off. Go Marsha!!!

3 comments:

Jayson & Sara said...

Yeah seamstresses always get the short end of the stick! She's definitely amazing! I hope she heals quickly from her surgery.

Unknown said...

This is kind of funny...I've been wishing that I'd taken advantage of learning from Marsha while I was there. With what time...I don't know...but I have been wanting to make tutus lately and wish I'd found out how. Your description sounds kind of overwhelming though!

Kent Kate & Afton said...

Do you think there is anything that I could help with? I have basic skills. Please call me if there is. Seriously.

I have always thought Marsha was amazing.