Thursday, December 18, 2008

My most traumatic experience

Joseph and I decided that we should get Benjamin's birthmark removed and did so on Tuesday. There is a picture for those who have never seen it and maybe you will understand why we felt the need to. We also figured that being so young would be best for the least scarring (physically and mentally). It was the safest to have them do it in the dermatologist's office with local anesthesea (sp?) rather than have him put under at the hospital. We were told it would be really hard to hold him down. We didn't understand. I thought it was because he would want to get up because little boys (and girls) don't like to hold still. No, he had no problem being held down, until the pain from the numbing shots. At this point I held down his legs and Joseph was at this face. (Thank goodness for the nurses help so one of us could try to comfort him face to face.) It was so hard to hear him scream and shout "All done?" over and over. Also I was not smart and watched the needle go under his skin over and over around the birthmark. I would never recommend that for a loved one. He got a quick break before they started cutting it out. Joseph then took his legs and I got to see his wet and tearful, pain-stricken face. It was so hard, one of the nurses was even crying. They cut it out deep and in one whole piece. Joseph wasn't allowed to watch but they placed it on the table in front of him. They then stitched him up. Oh, it was horrible. They stitched the top and bottom of the 'hole' together. It ended up into Benjamin's side which was not so numb. They stiched up 11 1/2 cm, pretty much half, if not more of his back. He was so quick to forgive and seek comfort in ours and the nurses arms. He got to go to the treat drawer and got his very first lollipop which he enjoyed very much. He has done pretty good since then. Seemed to forget about it quite quickly, not so much for Joseph and I, I didn't get much sleep last night thinking about it. We have to be very careful when lifting, changing, and moving him so his stitches don't pull. He needs to be careful too, but he is only as careful as most boys are/aren't. I had to stop him from trying to somersault today. In two weeks the stitches come out and hopefully all will be well. We had a great doctor and nurses who we are so glad to have had. The doctor himself called this morning to see how we were doing. We are glad that it is over and hope he heals well with no pain.
(Sorry pictures are out of order, but I am too tired to redo them.)










8 comments:

Kent Kate & Afton said...

Oh My! That would be Traumatic! I got a little teary imagining your sweet little boy so scared. I think it was a good thing to do though. (Not that I really know anything.)After Christmas lets all get together.

Laura said...

I'm glad the trauma is over! Benjamin is a brave little guy, and you are brave Joseph are too!

Linds said...

Poor kid! Coleson only had to get 3 stitches when he cut his finger and that was an all night traumatic experiance...More for me than for him. The good news is he doesn't remember and Benjamin probably won't either. Good luck keeping him calm until the stiches come out. That might be more difficult than holdin him down!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! I can't imagine what that must have been like. It reminds me of how I feel when I hear the story of Joseph Smith as a boy getting his leg operated on. You are so brave!

Kailee Joy said...

oh my goodness! You are so brave. I couldn't do it... I can barely stand watching the nurses give my child shots!!
Good Luck Benjamin, I hope you get well soon!

Emily said...

steph I wanted to cry! You are such a sweet mama and Benjamin is such a brave little guy! Hope he gets well soon! At least now it is over with.

Ashlee said...

Oh Steph! I'm so sorry! What a horrible day! At least your baby had such a good mommy and daddy to love him through it all!

Stacia said...

Ouch! Glad it's done and over with! Merry Christmas!!!!!!