Saturday, October 3, 2009
4 minutes
I went to the Utah Guard National headquarters on Thursday to get my military id. Making my appt had been a rough experience since the man on the phone was a gruff and grumpy military man. As I walked in and dealt with all these people in camo, I wanted to freak out. I never would have caught myself dead in this situation. And here I was at the beginning of this becoming my life. All dealings will be with grumpy mean people, everyone will be in the ugly camo uniform, always going through the security screenings, etc. I had minutes of peace in this building though. My phone started to ring and it was Joseph's ring. I couldn't believe and that it a joke or something. Everyone at basic is supposed to call within their first 72 hours to let us know he arrived safe. We never got that call, and then Joseph wrote that he wasn't going to stand in line to call us later on through the weeks. Nevertheless he was calling me. He was allowed to use his phone to tell me that he had not died of the swine flu. Apparently someone at their base had died of the swine flu. Unfortunately I didn't have Benjamin with me. I think it would be good for Benjamin to hear Joseph's voice since he really doesn't get idea of the letters. We were able to talk for 4 min. It was quick but nice. He sounds different, most likely because he was being watched or something. Hopefully not because he's changed, which sometimes I worry about. I would be willing to enter these uncomfortable buildings if it brings about a phone call.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Yay for phone calls!!!
Steph you are such a trooper. You are such an amazing mom and wife! I'm thinking about you and missing you and your fam, especially around Halloween!
Oh, Steph... My heart aches for you... My husband did this GI Joe game right after we got married, and I was pregnant with my first baby... He did it for the air force, and then we got him out anyway ( thanks goodness). To me , after his training, and not being able to see him, talk to him, EMAIL, and just be alone, and hear from my mother in-law , who was married to a pilot, that it is normal not to see or hear husband for MONTHS, i just ... couldn't do it. I am glad. Yeah, we paid back the money, yeah - have loans... , but I have a husband with me always. He will change , a little. And then he'll be back to normal :) At first, when Joseph comes back, it will be weird, and then all will be like he's never left within a day or two. And expect him to loose like 20 lb, even if he has nothing to lose :) All guys do. :) And hang in there. You are awesome. And a hero. To have a husband in a military ... a wife is a HERO.
I got the same phone call. I hadn't heard of anyone dying from Swine Flu, so I Googled it. Did you know that the soldier died 3 weeks before they allowed everyone else to call home... 3 weeks, by that time I knew he was okay.
Post a Comment