Sunday, February 20, 2011

Enough all ready-for the kid's sake

Yesterday Garrett had just a few spot on his legs and tummy. I called a nurse about it, thinking he may be allergic to penicillin. She assured me that it was a normal reaction and to continue the medicine. This morning I freaked as he was covered in these spots as they grew and began to really irritate the poor kid. Should have gone with my gut yesterday.


I took him to Urgent Care today, the poor guy was miserable. I got there right when they opened and the line was out the door and across the parking lot. We eventually got inside. I felt so validated when the check in clerk was telling me how ridiclous Lyster (the army health clinic we are forced to go to, and is absolutely useless) is for healthcare. They told me Lyster had way too many patients and that was why they gave meds out and tried to push people through as fast as they can. Thus resulting in a lack of being thorough. For example, I thought Evelyn might have acid reflux. I said this to the dr., he gave me a prescription without asking questions and dismissed us. I also was told I would get results the next morning from Garrett's chest x-ray. After not hearing from them I called three times before someone would give me an answer. Then when we went to the follow-up appt the nurse reprimended me for calling in and not waiting for her-two days later when she did call. How ridiculous is this.... let me show you. Exhibit A-our current medicine for the kids and Joseph.

Garrett-amoxicilin (now to be discarded since he is allergic to it), cough syrup, steroids, and benedryl
Joseph-pain killer for his foot (another example of not being thorough, they gave him this instead of finding out what was causing the pain)
Evelyn-orajel, zantac for acid reflux, and antibiotics (yet the nurse who prescribed this said she had nothing more than a cold)
I would love nothing more to hop on a plane and take my children to their old dr in Utah, where I trusted and had good faith in the pediatricians.

Here is hoping for a healthier household this week!

2 comments:

Stacia said...

How is he doing now? Is it all gone? Hope everything gets better in the H household.

Emily said...

oh Steph, YUCK! I'm so sorry. Poor kids and poor mama! I will pray for you guys!

Love those pics of Evelyn, I know I've said this before but she is all Wood!