Sunday, August 22, 2010

Change of Command

So here is the one real true pregnancy picture I will post for you Rachel. This was at 30 weeks. So hard to not hurry and delete this.
Relieved of duties! With being private I should be able to say more about what Joseph's been up to. Joseph was the personal aid to the CWOB of the Army. His work included but wasn't limited to being a rent-a-friend, carrying coins around for him to hand out, having phone numbers on demand, fetching water, bringing my cookies and brownies to work (my payment to have my husband home for the weekend), being a person to yell at when the guy had a problem. It was pretty miserable for him and made for tough times at home as well. This week was the change of command and Joseph's boss informed him and his company that he was still requiring Joseph to work for him until he left in Sept. (Even though he had no office, no gov. vehicle to be driven in, and no work duties.) So life would continue this way. With the nearing the end, Joseph's boss gave him an award (as all of his past aides have received). It is the Army Achievement Medal. Sounds pretty prestigious even though it was for unnecessary work. He also gave him a knife for display. He called Joseph Joe-Joe, and now that is what everyone out here calls him.
Then at the boss's farewell luncheon Joseph was surprised with a SERE level H completion certificate. I for a moment got my hopes up that it would mean he didn't have to go to SERE for the three week training. But it was for Surpassing Every one of R...(name of boss) Expectations level for Harassment. It was given to him by the commanding general's wife and it was nice for him to be recognized for the nightmare he had been in.

With the change of command the new CWOB asked to meet with Joseph. The new guy, now higher than Joseph's boss since he was changed out, told Joseph that he could hand out his own coins and didn't need an aid. Also that he wasn't allowed to report to his boss and apologized for his treatment. That what he experienced wasn't normal and not how the Army worked. YEAH! Freedom! After this he reported back to his company where they told him to go away and turn his phone off until Monday. So we took a quick spontaneous trip to the beach Friday. The family time was very much needed and appreciated. Joseph was so happy!
Garrett loved this hole we dug for him and even more he loved to eat the sand!
Garrett's mouth is always in this position. Unfortunately due to teething and Tylenol's recall, his face isn't happy while his mouth is open. He has been a wreck! IBuprofen hasn't helped him at all and he has had so much trouble sleeping. During the day he has periods of time where he just rolls around screaming on the floor. Food, drink, toys, holding him, nothing can get him to calm down. It gets really bad at church. We have had a few weeks of this and so I am hoping that it will be ending soon. I miss my happy Garrett.

2 comments:

Rachel Kim said...

I am SOOOO happy for you!!

I'm glad Joseph finally got recognition and was sort of, well vindicated for lack of a better word. Thank goodness that is NOT how the army typically is and the new guy sounds like he's level headed.

I'm even more happy for that cute babybump. yes it is cute and you're looking great. I love when your hair is light like this. maybe it's just blonde envy :)

Is that really Garrett? he looks so big. more like a toddler than a baby now. sheesh you and joseph do well. :) seems like garrett is a much better eater than benjamin was/is. poor teething baby. hope it goes away soon

Teresa W said...

I'm so glad you guys were able to go to the beach! I'm not sure how I feel about Joe-Joe, though. It just doesn't work for him all that well.