Monday, August 30, 2010

Unexpected

Joseph told me that his old boss was a lot more mellow now without his position. I learned for myself this Sunday a little more about the man and not the soldier. He and his friend (an inactive member who Joseph has been befriending) asked to stop by Sunday afternoon. The boys and I have only met up with him a few times. Which he had been friendly, but he had been drinking before the kids and I got there. I figured he was coming by because bored and lonely while he was waiting to move. They stopped by and I realized that he was a single lonely guy who himself was nervous around people. He told us that he and his friend went to get toys for the boys and the friend picked them out because he didn't know what Mormon kids were allowed to play with. And he knew I wouldn't let them have beer. He previously would joke about giving it to them and then I would tell him he got to take them home if he did so. Anyway, he was really thoughtful and got them both light sabers that were the same so they wouldn't fight. And GI Joe's. They loved them! Garrett woke up from a nap while they were here and couldn't stop giggling with excitement as he pushed his light saber like a vacuum on the floor. I couldn't believe how nice it was of him to think of them and go out of his way like that. Today Benjamin used markers and stickers to make him a thank you card. We figured that since he didn't have his own children's artwork to hang on the fridge we would give him Benjamin's. Before he left he asked to take a picture with our family.
What an unexpected and yet pleasant surprise.

No comments: