So last Sunday at 2am we drove up to our new home, tired, beaten, and just worn out. Joseph was excited to give me the tour of the home he picked out for us. Unfortunately I was unable to muster any happiness at the time. He had been able to turn on the electricity, but not the water or heat. I didn't know that and was unprepared. Feeling despaired because I was frozen and couldn't use the bathroom or wash up, it almost broke me when I saw the condition of the place. It was filthy! Besides your regular dirty house, there was dog hair everywhere (even in the fridge) and tar from cigarettes on the closet shelves. All the closets reeked of cigarette smoke. Before we would be able to unpack (which Joseph had work on Monday leaving me to do all the unpacking), I would have to scour the place. I was very depressed. So we went to a hotel that night. I was talking to Joseph at the hotel and told him it was the rental company's responsibility to have the place cleaned. He agreed. I was going to ask them to clean it or deduct off of rent. Joseph then confessed; they told him while showing the place that they would clean it. I don't know why, but he told them to not worry and he would do it. Well he didn't get it done and so I cleaned it. He released them from all responsibility when he told them that. Ugh, I love my husband, but never ever is he allowed to do that again. I am happier with the house now that things are cleaned and stuff is unpacked. Yesterday we took a day trip to Dothan (where there are other stores besides Wal-mart) and got a few of the things on my list to make it more homey. These pictures are more to show my family my new place. Not really anything exciting. I have always been a just get the task done and checked off rather than what decor/arrangement would look best. So while these may not be great compared to others (Mom, Rebecca, Jason K.), they are an accomplishment to me.


The backyard. I am allowed to have a garden as long as I replant sod when I leave, yeah! 
The side of our backyard, it's a pretty big yard. We even have squirrels running around back there.
A little trick I learned from Bethany, my ballerina friend. Greenery on top of the cupboards, kind of helps hide the silver vent pipe.

A first attempt to herbs. I cheated and bought some already grown.
Our 'we are a Mormon family' ledge.
My new treadmill! I can keep up my running, yeah! Right after we bought it, a commercial came on the radio making fun of a guy giving his wife a treadmill for Valentines. Joseph turned to me and said "Happy Valentines"!

Garrett showing off our new carpet. The whole house is hardwood and we needed somewhere he can work on crawling.
He LOVES LOVES LOVES food. He eats cheerios by the handful. He is eating off my plate already and throwing fits because I am not getting food in his mouth fast enough. I don't dare give him a nibble of ice cream anymore, he gets mad and shrieks if I don't give him more.

What a great teething toy, a carrot! Yeah he has his first tooth. He definitely has had a lot harder time then Benjamin did. I never really knew when Benjamin was teething. I was pretty lucky.

Happy day, Benjamin is actually eating!
Joseph started on filling up his account of helping out with the kids during the night last night. Garrett, due to teething and not wanting to sleep, got up at 5:30am and wouldn't go back to sleep. So Joseph stayed up with him. I was ever so grateful for the extra hour of sleep. So he took a nap today and Benjamin asked to 'nap with daddy'.
9 comments:
I'm so glad that you made it! Those roads look so scary! That stink you had to clean, but the place is looking great now! Miss you already!
You've done more decorating in the few days you've been there than I've done in 6 months of living here!? You're amazing! As far as DLA....what is that? I'll ask Josh. I don't know if we got that. Gotta love the military's acronyms!
Wow! What a drive! I'm so glad you all made it safe and sound. That's such a cute house with the yard and deck and everything. Don't feed the squirrels!
Cute house, big backyard, and adorable boys!
You have done an excellent job of making it "homey". We have all hardwood as well and I just went out and spent $350 on carpet remnants to cover tons of the floor. Totally worth it.
Good luck! I'm glad you're there and settling in.
Oh! It's cute! Stinks you had to clean so much when you just first got there... but it looks like a great house! And Yay that they will let you have a garden!
wow the house looks great. the kitchen looks nice and i can't help but eye all the cupboard space. (i know nothing like the provo house bu still wow!)
I wish there was a link to each photo because i had a comment for each one. ha not that you'd wnat to know..
garrett looks so cute with a big carrot, reminds me of Benjamin's favorite old snack.
laughed and laughed about the greenery on top of teh cupboards hiding the silver thing-e. heh
i love all the plants you have around the house, especially the herbs. i've found that herbs go in these weird cycles where they're green then suddenly die? maybe i'm blaming my bad skills on "cycles" but it seems like that's what happens.
can't believe you got your treadmill already! you inspire me to work out too.
huge backyard. it looks like a beautiful east coast one. do they have "triggers" down there? i think that's what Deanna calls em. kind of like ticks.
what do they mean you have to plant sod after? doesn't that cost thousands of dollars?
k that's my huge list of comments. (sorry)
oh and Jason said he feels famous that he's mentioned on your blog!
That whole move sound like a NIGHTMARE. I'll never complain about my moves again!! But I agree with everyone else that your house looks great now. I'm sorry you had to clean (and the husband letting others off the hook sounds familar--good thing these men make up for it by doing amazing things like finding lint in the dryer, eh?). Hope things start to go more smoothly :)
Post a Comment