Last week a Sesame Street show came to the base and put on a free half hour performance for military families. They gave every child an awesome free toy which the boys loved and helped entertain them while waiting for the show. The show was well done and I was quite impressed with the dancing in the costumes. The show started out with Elmo telling his friends he felt bad and was sad because he missed his daddy who was gone. I thought: Oh how sweet of Sesame Street to do a show specifically for the kids of the soldiers to help deal with deployment. Those kids really have it rough emotionally and I am glad Sesame Street does such a great thing to help them. HARD TRUTH: A) Those kids are my kids. My kids are those kids. My kids are now the children who have to deal with life without dad. He is not a constant factor in life. He is here and not here at someone elses whim. My children are those who have that life. It KILLS me that it is so. B) Deployment is not the only time that daddy is gone. Constantly they are gone for trainings and such. There is no steadiness to their schedule. As far as Benjamin knows, daddy will be gone one day and he has no idea when he is coming back. It has already happened a few times and we haven't even been in the Army a year. 8 more years to go still! Benjamin every morning does these things in this order; announces he woke up, tells me he wants breakfast, asks if Daddy is going to be home for dinner. The rare times Joseph is still here at 6:30am, Benjamin knows in his sleep and will get up extra early those mornings. The hard truth I am in the military and my kids fall into the category of emotional children because dad is gone. Brought to you by Sesame Street
Benjamin showing off his new toy.
I know the picture is fuzzy, but can you see how much Garrett loves his new toy?



3 comments:
Oh cute! Those look like the little toys Benjamin was playing with at the Disney Store! That is so great that they put on that Sesame Street show. I bet Benjamin loved it!
It's must be hard when Benjamin asks that. I'm happy to see that sesame street came but it's a sad topic. You're right even when they aren't deployed it's still not like they're there. Your kids look pretty darn happy so you must be doing a good job.
Am I the only one that didn't find out about this free Seseame Street show until after the fact? I've seen several kids with those toys, but didn't make the connection until now.
Post a Comment