Thursday, March 18, 2010

Life in Enterprise

There once was a town that was attacked by boll weevils. They ate the town's cotton which drove it's economy. The town was forced to try something else for money and found success with .... peanuts! The town was so grateful to the boll weevils that they put up a statue commemorating them. Much of the town is also named for the boll weevils. This town is our town Enterprise, Alabama. Oh yes my friends the boll weevil appears to be an idol of worship around here. There are even pictured on our garbage cans. Here is the statue on/in Main street with an oversized boll weevil.
(This is for you Kim! It does exist!)Streets and Plaza are named after boll weevils.




With all this great small town has to offer, we have spent a lot of time at home with each other. Joseph left yesterday for WOCS. (Finally! He has been waiting since Nov. for this.) In 7 weeks he will get to come back home with us and he will go up a paygrade. Whoo hoo! Until then I hope the boys and I survive each other. We had a few preparations to make for Joseph's departure. Family pictures-you can't see but the boys have matching green ties.
And haircuts. I wasn't excited to cut Joseph's or Garrett's. I can't really say which one was more sad to do. I don't like the finished product on either of them.
Here is the before picture. Joseph's hair was sooo close to being normal again after being shaved in Nov.
I can't look for too long at this picture, it upsets me too much.

Otherwise the boys are boys and have had some cute moments. Getting in some last minute tickle time with daddy. Like Garrett's don't bother me I am eating face.
And poor bored Benjamin. My VT came over and we had a great time talking while Benjamin was eating his lunch. After a while I noticed I couldn't hear him. I peeked in the kitchen to see this. It was pretty cute. Do you like how is cars are aligned parallel to each other?
And a bonus for those who read my whole long post. I learned two magic mom tricks that can be a huge help when in need. You may know them already, but I was excited when I learned them. If your kids can't sleep because they are coughing-put Vick's Vaporub on their feet and put socks on over. These moms swear by it. Also if you are trying to get out a splinter-soak it in warm water first to open up the pores. I imagine that is common knowledge for most of you, but in case not here you go.

8 comments:

Laura said...

That boll weevil thing is so interesting! Who would have thought a town would ever be so happy about them! I hope you are doing well! Good luck for the next several weeks! I miss you!

Emily said...

Good luck these 7 weeks! You can do it! Call if you are bored or neeed some one to talk to. Thanks for the socks trick, we may have to try that in the future.

Ashlee said...

I totally did NOT know those little tips! Thank you for sharing! I think the sock one sounds particularly genius.

Kim said...

YEAH for the statue!! Thanks for posting the picture. Cute pictures. I love the one of Benjamin sleeping at the table. I didn't know the splinter tip, but I use the Vick's one & love it! It really works. Good luck the next 7 weeks. The pay raise will be nice.

Melanie said...

so he's gone? Good luck. 7 weeks is a long time but you're strong. You can do it.

HedaWood said...

Boll Weevils? Well I guess we have Mormon crickets, and we made Seagulls the state bird for eating the crickets, right?

Oh and Mom absolutely loved Benjamin's voice message the other day.

Linds said...

That bug statue is gross! But kind of hilarious at the same time. I love the green in the family pictures!

Rachel Kim said...

garrett and benjamin look so handsome in their little suits!