When we moved here I wondered if our neighbors existed. We never saw them, not even getting into their cars. We didn't meet anyone and the few people I saw and waved at, wouldn't wave back. One Saturday it was really nice outside and we played outside. A lady came walking through our yard right up to us. I was so excited to finally meet a neighbor. As it turns out she comes through our yard on her walks to get to her house. But because we were directly in her path she exchanged a brief hello with us. Really... where was the southern hospitality? Last Saturday as Joseph worked on the lawn, we met a neighbor. An elderly man came over and introduced himself and talked away. Yeah! Max was so nice, he even offered to babysit with his wife. He told us about his Army experience and other things. One of which is that he was mechanic and has about every tool. He was very neighborly and offered his help if we ever needed. This was very comforting as Joseph leaves for 2 months and my dad in UT is unable to look at my car.
I needed Max's help much sooner than that. While Garrett napped, Benjamin and I went outside to play for a bit. When it was time to go inside, lo and behold Benjamin had locked every door behind us. Baby was inside, phone was inside, keys were inside. I had no idea what to do. I went to Max! He was so kind and helped me look for a way to break in. Our windows are the old kind with the inside latch so that wasn't going to work. He let me use his home phone where I met his wife and two little dogs. She was so sweet to Benjamin. They were so talkative and I loved it. I am so lucky to have found a foster dad out here who is happy to help me. (Dad, no one will ever take your place.) The story ends well in that the rental place came and unlocked the door and were kind enough to not charge a fee.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
That seriously gives me happy goosebumps. The smallest acts of kindness can mean so much. Glad you were able to get inside!
I'm so happy for you! I've been worried about you and your neighbor situation and can I just say that Max sounds like the perfect name for that friendly old man livin next door. I absolutely love it!
What an afternoon!
I take it that you were far too busy to correct my paper?
Oh Steph! I can't imagine being so far away from ALL family! I wish I could give Max a big huge hug right now! I hope you meet more people like him!
yay for good neighbors! So glad someone's taking care of you guys!
I glad someone finally talked to you! Our street is so friendly. I haven't seen anyone drive by without waving.
Post a Comment